Sunday, July 17, 2011

Something's Changed...

Ever have one of those nights where you know you won't be able to shut your brain off long enough to go to sleep? I have those regularly. But, after the week I just had they may become even more common.

This last week I was a camp counselor at Michiana Christian Service Camp. I served as part of the Impact Ministries team. To say that it was a life-changing experience would be an understatement. Going into the week, I wasn't really sure my heart was in it. I was already tired from the previous week and as an introvert by nature, the whole process did seem a bit daunting. By Tuesday, however, I had already lost my heart to a group of high-schoolers. I had not completely prepared myself for the blessing those relationships would bring or the sense of joy I would feel as I led those campers through God's Word and His promises. On top of it all, I was in a place surrounded by people who wanted to praise and honor the Lord. I was away from my usual distractions and from the preconceived notions that my friends have about me. I was in a place with mostly new faces and it was a very refreshing and rejuvenating time. My mind keeps replaying images and conversations from the week and reinforcing the insights they brought. I can't imagine now where I'd be if I hadn't agreed to serve there.

My thoughts are also retracing each step I took today and the conversations that occurred. It was another good day with my friends at the beach, but it feels different tonight somehow. Maybe I was changed more than I realized at camp or maybe something about today really was out of the ordinary. Either way, today felt more vivid, more important in some way. I know, it sounds a bit crazy to me too. That's what this is for though; to express my crazy thoughts in a controlled manner. To sum in all up, today just felt more real to me. I feel like I learned something new about each of the people I interacted with today and because of that, I've grown to care about them even more. Even though I can't make sense of it, I still find it to be a blessing. Whether I sleep tonight or not.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I always receive so much more from God at MCSC than I feel I have ever given. I'm just thrilled you "get it" now too. That's probably why this old chick has served there around 15 years...those kids...man, its just such a jolt from my daily reality two weeks out of every year. It was the soft place for me to land when Mom died four weeks ago. It is a place of renewal and strengthening for me. I love the friendships that happen there. They come with an intensity that you can't find without those 6-7 days together 24/7. God always shows me more about myself than anyone else while I serve. This is a big part of why we are excited about serving with Impact...we want to bring this to the table more often, even in our daily walk with students. Love that you are one of our leaders friend. You "get" it. Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be so proud of me. I've finally caught up on your blog. I'm so glad you have it.

    ReplyDelete